- LGWM was made to release their Mass Rapid Transit Option Capital Cost Breakdown
- This reveals some very questionable cost estimates in these options
- Of special concern is the apparent cost inflation of the Bus Rapid Transit Option
Tag: <span>Rail Cost</span>
Wellington City has the worst PT services yet pays the highest fares and the highest Transport Rates.
* About 20 cents in every dollar of fare paid by Wellington City Bus riders actually goes to help fund poorly used bus services in the rest of region
* About 40 cents in every dollar paid by Wellington City, Lower Hutt City and Porirua city residential ratepayers goes to subsidise expensive rail and poorly used bus services in Upper Hutt, Kapiti and especially the Wairarapa
* In 2017/18, Wellington City ratepayers outside the CBD paid 20% of the region’s Transport Rates and this more than pays for Wellington City public transport (PT) services. … Read more ...
Passenger Rail PT services are very expensive due to high capital costs. But because so much of the capital infrastructure is shared across multiple services cost allocation is more difficult than bus services.
This does not mean that the rail costs cannot be estimated for different services sharing tracks, stations and network systems. … Read more ...
The Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) 2019/20 Annual Plan Public Transport (PT) estimates it will cost $304M to provide Metlink PT services which are funded by fares, subsidies, loans and Transport Rates. This is a lot of money … in fact the GWRC spends more on providing public transport than all other activities combined. … Read more ...
- In the Farebox Recovery Calculations, Rail Operating Costs have increased by $17.9M.
- However, only $8.4M of rail costs were funded as Direct Operating Costs in 2017/18
- Over half the $17.9M rail operating cost increase is from an additional rail cost item.