- LGWM was made to release their Mass Rapid Transit Option Capital Cost Breakdown
- This reveals some very questionable cost estimates in these options
- Of special concern is the apparent cost inflation of the Bus Rapid Transit Option
- Wellington is growing and committed to increased use of public transport
- But the Golden Mile Project will not improve bus capacity so how will the 13,000 future bus commuters get to work?
- It’s not that LGWM failed to increase bus capacity along the Golden Mile, it’s that they did not even try …
Wellington will greatly increase its bus usage
Wellington faces serious peak time congestion mainly because we so much employment based in our CBD. … Read more ...
- Wellington is an unusual city due to a huge portion of jobs being in the CBD
- We experience serious “tidal” congestion due to the huge morning inflow of commuters into the CBD and then out from CBD in the evening
- The peak time pressure on the Golden Mile is huge but otherwise Wellington is quite an accessible city
One could rightly say that every city is different but, on the spectrum of city characteristics, Wellington City is unusual in a number of ways.… Read more ...
How many Commuters will a future Wellington’s have and what Mode will they be using?
* Lets Get Wellington Moving expects about 17,000 more peak hour commuters will travel into the CBD by 2036
* But there’s a problem because the Wellington City Council predicts many more future residents and so this may mean over 35,000 more commuters
* The commitment to handle the majority of future commuter growth by bus and rail public transport means majors increases in the capacity of both are needed
Wellington City is facing two huge challenges, how to house more people in a city with the highest housing prices in the country and how to improve transport for all the city’s residents.… Read more ...