- LGWM was made to release their Mass Rapid Transit Option Capital Cost Breakdown
- This reveals some very questionable cost estimates in these options
- Of special concern is the apparent cost inflation of the Bus Rapid Transit Option
* About 20 cents in every dollar of fare paid by Wellington City Bus riders actually goes to help fund poorly used bus services in the rest of region
* About 40 cents in every dollar paid by Wellington City, Lower Hutt City and Porirua city residential ratepayers goes to subsidise expensive rail and poorly used bus services in Upper Hutt, Kapiti and especially the Wairarapa
* In 2017/18, Wellington City ratepayers outside the CBD paid 20% of the region’s Transport Rates and this more than pays for Wellington City public transport (PT) services. … Read more ...
The Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) 2019/20 Annual Plan Public Transport (PT) estimates it will cost $304M to provide Metlink PT services which are funded by fares, subsidies, loans and Transport Rates. This is a lot of money … in fact the GWRC spends more on providing public transport than all other activities combined. … Read more ...